" Missing Link" ? Discovered
The discovery of a beautifully preserved fossil of a lemur-like early Primate, believed to be 47 million years old and already being hailed as ” the missing link”” and even as “the eighth wonder ” by palaeontologists will soon be unveiled amid great fanfare at the American Museum of Natural History in New York . Nicknamed as ‘Ida” ,the fossil find which is a female of the species and now assigned the scientific name Darwinius masillae is so well prserved that even a shadow line of its coat of hairs is visible together with traces of its last meal.
Originally discovered in 1980 from the famed fossil trove of Messel Pit near Darmstadt in Germany, Ida remained in a private collection unannounced, till its significance was investigated by a team led by Jhon Hurum of the Natural History Museum of Oslo, Norway. According to Hurum ” it is the closest thing we can get to a direct ancestor” and “a dream come true”.
Related articles by Zemanta
- The palaeontologist who introduced Ida to the world (guardian.co.uk)
- Is fossil Ida a missing link in evolution? (guardian.co.uk)
- Honor Warren Is New To NYC (justjared.buzznet.com)
- Little, Brown Ready to Reveal Its Hidden Link (mediabistro.com)
- Gisele Bundchen is Rainforest Alliance Ravishing (justjared.buzznet.com)